Thursday 2 July 2009

Re-cycling by bike

Better - but still not good.

Having learned from yesterdays experience I tried the following changes:

1/ Took a normal forked bike (yesterday was a Cannondale with a Lefty fork, which meant that the bags I was using for carrying the bottles kept sticking into the spokes of the front wheel).

2/ Tool 2 bags instead of 3 - to help balance the bike better.

But I still had the following problems:

I managed to get up more speed - but because of the suspension fork the bags somehow managed to get into an out of sync. swing - so as one bag swung forwards, the other swung back - making it look like I was drunk (rather than just stupid) as I weaved down the road.

When needing to turn left I couldn't signal as a/ the bag may have fallen off the bike or b/ I may have lost balance - resulting in not letting 2 ladies who were crossing the road knowing that I was going to swerve around them ....

Which resulted in me being on the wrong side of the road (luckily in a narrow car par entrance) facing an on-coming car!

Anyway - I managed to deposit the bottles at the bank - which means 2 car journeys saved so far.

And no puncture this time (it wasn't glass yesterday - but a thorn from a previous cross country bike ride).

Still room for improvement though.

- Andrew

No comments:

Post a Comment